Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Reaction to Vick's Dogfighting Charges

I admit I have not really followed the Vick case all that much but since it is all over the news and sports shows and websites I hear enough about it. I am not even going to get into what he has basically admitted to doing with his plea. The more I hear and read it about the more I wonder how the life of a dog seems to be more important than a human life???? I understand that Americans love their pets and have an affinity to cute furry animals but there has been more outrage directed at Vick than at other athletes who have been involved in situations where human beings were killed or severely injured and it is puzzling to me.

Ray Lewis tried to help cover up murder. He got his share of negative press but it was not nearly to the same extend that Vick received. I don't remember everyone clamoring for him to be banned for life or to be gang raped in prison. Ray Carruth was involved in the murder of his pregnant wife and he was not demonized like Vick. Look, I do not condone what Vick was involved in and it disgusts me too but I don't think it is as bad as killing another human being.

I understand that the Peta types out there consider animal life more sacred than humans. I also understand that there are not many organizations out there better at getting their opinion out there. I can accept that Peta whack jobs have misguided ideals and like to shout them from the roof tops. The problem is that there are seemingly normal people out there who seem to believe that killing dogs or making them fight each other is much worse than killing an innocent pregnant woman. To me this is just retarded and I have to question the direction in which we are heading when this belief is so widespread.

I love dogs and IMO you have to be an abhorrent monster to do the things that Vick did but to all the people who are lining up with Peta on this issue just remember you are now in a camp that thinks killing a rat is evil but human suffering is not so bad.

2 comments:

Animal Chaplain said...

Jack,

I have known many members of Peta and other groups in my work. I have never, ever, ever heard any of them say or show they think, animals are more important than humans. That is just Fox-news style lies.

The people I know love animals AND humans. All are sentient beings.

Enough is enough.

Chaplain Nancy Cronk
www.AnimalChaplains.com

Jack Straw said...

Hey, I think Fox News deserves all the criticism they get. They provide nothing more than propaganda and tabloid journalism. And maybe the rank and file Peta members you are familiar with do not share the same views as the Peta national director but the fact is she speaks for Peta and she does believe that animals are more important than humans.

"Even if animal tests produced a cure [for AIDS], we'd be against it."
-- Ingrid Newkirk, national director, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), as quoted in Fred Barnes, "Politics," Vogue, September 1989, p. 542

"There is no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They're all mammals."
-- Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's President,the Washington Times August 29, 1999

Not only that, she is a hypocrite. Let me preface this by again stating that I think dogfighting is disgusting and in no way am I defending it but the fact is that Ingrid Newkirk has killed more animals than Michael Vick and his abhorrent cohorts. If you don't believe me just read her own words.


"I would go to work early, before anyone got there, and I would just kill the animals myself. Because I couldn't stand to let them go through other workers abusing the animals. I must have killed thousands of them, sometimes dozens everyday."
-- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PeTA, The New Yorker, April 14, 2003

I appreciate everything people like you do but I can't support the beliefs and actions of Peta on a national level.